Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Pacific Plans

Its been a while, not sure why I've not been bluging lately, I think I've been content to lounge in the pool and use the hot tub whilst leaving Kelv to it :) Now its his turn to lounge for our 5th day in this great town of Missoula, trying to throw off the lurg he's been brought down with. We could have probably ridden a few token miles further towards Idaho today but there is no point - we'd more than likely have to have another day off tomorrow somewhere much less comfortable and accessible as Missoula.

The town is similar size to Laramie and Helena, about 30,000 people and a University. What strikes you the most is how active everyone is - bikes are everywhere and in all flavours, single speeds, cross bikes, tri, roadies, mtb's, cruisers, kids in little trailers the lot. It doesn't look like the town relies on tourism for its active feel, I think the population is just generally health conscious and biking seems to be the major pastime, along with rafting, canoing, backpacking etc. We hadn't realised but its also the headquarters for the Adventure Cycling Association. This non-profit organisation create bike routes and maps, organise bike tours and help out with the national cycle network (like our Sustrans).

I went to their offices a couple of days ago and bought a few maps - their Lewis and Clark route maps roughly follow the same course I'd planned for the last leg of the journey from Missoula to the Pacific via Portland. These maps are perfect, lots of information on places to eat, sleep, get repairs, much more than you'd find on your average road map. We'll be using sections 6 and 7 for the rest of the trip. It also looked like and amazing place to work - Cartography, American History and Cycling under one roof! (Cooch maybe your perfect job?) I envied the staff there.

Before I left I was asked to sign into their book of visiting cyclists - the guy a couple days before me was a German chap riding round the world. They also took a Polaroid and stuck it on their wall with all the other long distance cyclists that had passed through Missoula. Was then offered free internet access from their computers and free pop and ice cream! Awesome! I was politely asked to leave after my 6th cornetto.

Plans have had to change a little with the time we've spent in Missoula. I was hoping to attempt a big solo ride from Seattle to Vancouver but I doubt I'll be able to squeeze that in now. Health and fitness permitting we should reach the Pacific on Sunday 1st June - 2 days before I fly back to the UK from Vancouver. The route follows Lewis & Clarks trail westward and is something along these lines:

Missoula (MT) > Lolo Pass (MT) > Hwy 12 (ID > Lewiston (ID) > Walla Walla (WA) > Umatilla (WA) > Biggs (OR) > Cascade Locks (OR) > Portland (OR) > Seaside (OR)

Thats about 700 miles approx. We'll be taking a day off to explore Portland and hopefully a day by the Pacific if we have time. I can't wait to see the sea, its weird we feel so close and yet 700 miles is still a good way to go. I'll miss Montana when we head into Idaho. Its been my favourite state so far and was nothing like I expected. Saying that, none of the trip has been anything I expected (not least the snow!!!). Montana's landscape has been the most varied and in the week of riding from West Yellowstone to Missoula we've seen some spectacular scenery with great people and friendly little towns on the way. We also had the best climb of the whole trip so far - the first pass somewhere near what you'd find in the Alps - Flesher Pass. Was good to get stuck into some switchbacks finally!

I've still got 2 weeks left of the trip but I can't stop now thinking of coming back to gritty reality when I get back to the UK. In some ways I'm looking forward to it, in others dreading it. I'm sure I'll forget about it when we get back on the road.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best plan, no good taking chances on Wild Highway 12! it will be an interesting ride and I envy you. The Adventure Cycling Assoc looks a good set-up, a lucky find and their hospitality to travellers reminds me of the old days in our shop.

A great blug we wondered where you were, leaving it all to Kelvin. What we need now - more photographs.

Off to watch Man U & Chelsea, ko in 15 mins

Anonymous said...

Nice photo there, Bert - is that road as steep as it looks?

cooch said...

"I was politely asked to leave after my 6th cornetto" -

excellent!

As you guys are obviously more clued up on Lewis/Clark than I am, my next history lesson will be on the Nez Perce.

That's if I can fit it in between watching the Test Match and Football Play offs this weekend.

Manchester United are the European Champions, if you did not know, on penalties, 6-5. (1-1 at full-time)

Drogba got sent off, and in the shoot-out Ronaldo, Terry and Anelka missed.

Dubson was ill today so spent the day at home with him, and watched the Giro d'Italia on Eurosport.

Somehow, that lead me to ponder that on your ride - who is the Domistique?

Discuss.

Alan Buttler said...

Coochness - Kelv has to be in Yellow, its 1985, he is Hinault and I'm Lemond :) I'm gonna have to hold off on the Lolo pass tomorrow I think to keep the balance. I'll have my day some other time...