Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Laramie, Wyoming, 7165ft

Compared to Bert's 120 mile slog though the hills into a headwind, Kelv and I had it easy today. We drove about 200 miles through the Rocky Mountain National Park, which is absolutely stunning:




I did actually get some riding in - only about 6 miles at 8000 feet (mostly downhill though). The uphill bits were really really difficult, I couldn't get anywhere near enough oxygen into me, and the lactic acid was building up fast. On one slope I was down to just about as slow as I could go without falling off, my throat dry and chest heaving. Kelv pulled up along side with the SUV and thankfully we swapped over.

Mentioning SUV's, ours is of the 6.2 litre V8 variety. It might well make an environmentalist have a heart attack - which is slightly ironic, seeing as most people I've seen driving them look like they should have had one themselves long ago.




This picture is of Kelv wondering just how the snakebite kit should be used if one of us was bitten by a rattler... he has now read the instructions, which involve cutting the victim open with a scalpel, unless the bite is on your toes or fingers, where no further advice is given. I guess we'll just have to be careful walking over the rocky crevaces.




One of my first tasks when we arrived at Laramie was to buy some beer, so I headed for a large supermarket - K Mart I think it was called. Surprisingly (to me) none of the supermarkets in Laramie sell beer, you have to go to a liquor store, I still have no idea why that is the case - does anyone know?

Tomorrow we head up towards Rawlins - Kelv and Bert cycling, and me in the SUV. I'll be taking a longer route so that we can meet up in the late afternoon. I found some off road tracks on the map nearby so I'm going off to investigate them. I will not be taking on anything that I would consider proper offroading, firstly as I want to return the hire car in one piece, and secondly because the idea of getting stuck 30 miles from anywhere, on my own with no mobile phone coverage in bear country seems like a bloody stupid idea.

James

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just reading your posts while I am sat at work, you would not believe the self restraint it is taking me not to blow the money I have saved to get my eyes lasered and book a flight......aaaaarrrggh!!!!!!

Jealous as hell Junior

Anonymous said...

Junior, don't restrain yourself, go book the flight and cancel the surgury - see here: http://www.theonion.com/content/amvo/stronger_lasik_warnings_urged

8-)

Anonymous said...

Damn, why didn't that link work, ah well, have put the full link in my username - try that!

Anonymous said...

Two words for you Bert - in sane!
You're living the dream... that sort of stuff is a life changer.

BTW: I'm in love with your other child, she keeps eye balling me in the lounge here until I take her out (like Sat, Sun, Mon, Tue, and tonight) - she's a dream ride. Thanks so much.
Anyway - keep pushing hard out there!

cooch said...

Trek Baby sitter - I've ridden her to - she's a dream.

Bert - Way to go, dude!

(sorry, slipped into the vernacular there)

Laramie - I vaguely remember watching the TV Western series as a kid. What I did not know was that Hoagy Carmichael starred in the series.

Born in Indiana, Hoagy had a rough life as a youngster. He supplemented the family income by working in a bike chain factory (honest!) and playing piano, a skill he picked up from his mother.

After graduating in Law he kept up his studies and music for a while, moving between NYC and Florida in the process. When he started to write successful songs (Stardust, Lazybones, Georgia on My Mind) and the royalties poured in he devoted himself to music.

In 1935 he moved to California, accepting a contract with Paramount for $1,000 a week. That's a whole lotta dosh!

The only reason I know his name is from reading the Guinness Book of Records as a kid.

His song "I'm a Cranky Old Yank in a Clanky Old Tank on the Streets of Yokohama with my Honolulu Mama Doin' Those Beat-o, Beat-o Flat-On-My-Seat-o, Hirohito Blues" was always listed as the longest song title. It may still be for all I know.

Lennon reckoned Hoagy was his favourite songwriter, which is quite a commendation, in my eyes.

Random post originating from the place "Laramie" over.

Route plans, bro?