Monday, March 31, 2008

Fair Hope

Well, I was feeling a bit down when i wrote that last post, after 40 hard wasted miles, a wasted morning, listening to the wind and rain outside.

Here's a pic of me waiting for the ferry, taken by a couple of snowbirds who befriended me:


But a quick phone call to Brandon cheered me up, so instead of calling it a day I headed north, and did another 35 miles along the east side of Mobile Bay, getting me close enough to clear Mobile itself before rush hour tomorrow as long as I ride at first light. I'm in a little town called Fair Hope now.

Just when i was looking for a place to stay a car pulled over, the guy driving was a cyclist and so had the usual chat, then recommended the motel i'm in now as being cheap and decent with a fantastic 'mom and pop' italian restaurant right next door, and a sea view.

So here I am, it is only 30 quid for the night, it's great, and when they found out i didn't have a laptop of my own the owner lent me one! I'm so impressed with how friendly and helpful everyone is here, I ride along on a wave of good wishes. One hotel even gave me a 50% discount the other night, it was awesome too, right on the waters edge.

So I'll upload some pics and write some babble, get some scoff, write some more, then fall asleep happy. The ferry has wasted today and added another day before getting to Brandon's, but what the hell, it's all good.

More later

Kelv

5 comments:

Kelv said...

wow, i asked at the desk if they had a laundry room, and they said just to bring it over and they would do it in their own machine!

my bike stuff does fair stink though, so perhaps it was offered in self defence!

Gotta get the laptop back soon so won't be too much blogging after all, it's his daughter's laptop he's lent me!

PY said...

It's really an easy life then... :-)

curlybob said...

Hope your cycle clothes don't come back 1/2 the size, I am sure they will need boiling to rid the stench.

Do you need tape to hold your seatpost together? How does that work?

Gill said...

Far play just been looking at the map you are mad!!!!!!! Looks like your having a great time though :).

Take care and continue enjoying your great adventure!

love Medler family

Anonymous said...

You look insanely happy in that photo, you brigand! Great updates - keep it up. I second CurlyBob's hope that you get your stuff back half size, with the additional highlight that they come back tinged with pink.

Can you stay put long enough in one spot for the Google satellites to pick you up?