Monday, April 28, 2008

Ulysses, Kansas, Alt: 3,051 ft

Vertically half way to Denver. Today was a long slow 8mph slog into a freezing cold headwind, it was -2C last night and didn't get above 10 in the day so I was in cold weather gear all day, although the sun shining made it a bit nicer. I found that the best way to get rid of most of the horrible bits of the headwind was to wear a trusty bandito mask:
This stopped my face being sandblasted, and helped me detach myself from the discomfort of having wind blasting into me all day, so it made riding much easier and I managed 67 miles, way further than a normal headwind ride.

It had the interesting side effect of greatly reducing the number of friendly toots and smiles from passing vehicles though, I guess it turned me from friendly, approachable-looking cyclist struggling along, into a hardcore post-apocalyptic road warrior with a disconcerting stare. Or a muppet. Who knows.

I found a working ipod nano lying on the road today, looked like it had fallen off a motorbike. Will pass it on to someone as I go. Later on a state trooper pulled over for a chat to see if i was ok as I was on a rest break by the roadside, which was cool of him. Absolutely everyone talks to me about the wind here, always in sympathy.

The land was totally flat today, and barren too. I rode over a couple of dried up river beds, it all looks very western, especially with the tumbleweeds blowing everywhere, I figure they are plant versions of me.


After looking at the maps I've decided to ditch the pueblo plan and ride straight to denver, makes things a lot easier as I don't have my credit card until bert shows up, so can't hire a car. Denver is about an extra day's ride over going to pueblo, and I've found a great site that shows all the bike routes into the city so I can get in safely. Depending on the wind I should arrive friday, then will have a few rest days before heading off on the final stage with bertie and james.

Rough route plan to denver is Syracuse, Kansas, 50/385 to Lamar, Colorado, up the 287 to Kit Carson, 40 to Limon, 7 miles on the interstate (generally safe and quiet in countryside), then 86 and finally 83 north into denver and the bike paths. It's about 300 miles, so 4 or 5 days ish.

8 comments:

cooch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cooch said...

That's a long haul Kelvin - but the forecast is warmer at least for Tuesday and Wednesday, and the wind should turn around too.

:)

Alan Buttler said...

Ah man, reading about that State trooper pulling over to check you out.. I wondered how long it would take...

'...You know, I'm thinkin',
a guy with your kind of mind... ought to try the land-crab.

Look at me in the eyes.

May I have a little kiss
before you go ?

I'm very lonely here...'

http://bp3.blogger.com/_rm5M_p-9Cwg/RxuzoD5u2SI/AAAAAAAAAPg/9llSDWG3It0/s1600-h/Fear+and+Loathing+in+Las+Vegas+-+Johnny+Depp+%26+Gary+Busey.jpg

Anonymous said...

What music was on the iPod?

Mantadaz said...

awesome progress dude, nice one.

Mantadaz said...

Good idea to avoid Pueblo...I knew I'd heard of it before...

http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Pueblo

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelvin
Just catching up with your travels, blog is great keep it coming.
Glad your having a fab time and managing to find some men in uniform!
stay safe.

Jane

Anonymous said...

I think that tumbleweed analogy is more acurate than you realise, except that you use the wind to your advantage, I think when you have had your rest with your family in Canada, you should get a helemet cam amd do a cyclist version of "the dice man"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dice_Man

Keep the hearts pumping